Meet Poet At Your Table Jeannine Hall Gailey


Poet  At Your Table Jeannine Hall Gailey

A Poet At Your Table is offering overviews of our poets for book groups  to get a better sense of who would be the best match for your readers. To book Jeanine Hall Gailey or any of our other ten poets, please leave a message on our Facebook page or write to us at poetatyourtable(at)gmail.com

Many of you have asked if there is a cost to booking one of our poets and the answer is not at this time. We want to spread the passion we have for poetry with other book lovers. Some of our poets also offer a free copy of their book to the evening's host. Check us out!
 

Jeannine Hall Gailey easily parallels the myths and stories we’ve read and memorized as children with the current modern lives we lead. Though lest you think all of the poem narrators are female, there are male narrators, including one knight who did not get the fairytale ending he was expecting. In this way, Gailey is calling into question the fantasies that men are fed as children as well; must they be rescuers and be the strongest and bravest to get the girl? A phenomenal collection from beginning to end — one that has a permanent place in my library, right next to her others.

From Savvy Verse and Wit Review


Fever Dream in January

I press my face to the glass to feel the cold
its ice-flowers bloom against scarlet cheek
and neck and palm. I thought I found you
but it turned out you were beyond me,
beyond help, beyond anyone now.
I never thought I’d turn domestic.
I remember you baking, the coconut
and confectioner’s sugar like snow
on your skin. I melted.
Give me an apple, give me a rose, give me fever
then cold then                         dim the sun then          ice then my -
I told you I’d forgotten
but the last shard of glass insists itself.

                    from Unexplained Fevers


Comments

Post a Comment