Nicola Slattery - English painter with Irish roots

Artist Credit: Nicola Slattery
Last summer while in West Cork, I came across the paintings of Nicola Slattery at Mill Cove Gallery. Her work is hauntingly beautiful. I was immediately drawn to how  her sense of the surreal mingles with the natural world. We were in the gallery to find images for writing ekphrastic poems. The majority of my students chose work by Nicola Slattery for their poems. The work is playful and at the same time hints at something more profound.

I've spent much of the afternoon looking at art and actually feel more confused than clear. There are so many different ways to approach Cloud Pharmacy. How will I ever decide?

Thank you, Kelli, for showing me this trick!

Comments

  1. Love, love this artwork. Have been thinking about cloud pharmacy - a pharmacy, historically, is rooted in ayurvedic medicine. This made me think of the Garden and Cosmos exhibit at SAM. There are some wonderful images - the palace, in particular, might be a "cloud pharmacy". http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/exhibit/interactives/gardencosmos/index.html
    Also, Pamela Zagarenski's work - she has some cloud pictures...very whimiscal in her image gallery - as well as http://sacredbee.com/Welcome.html

    Just some thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    Wonderful images, thank you! You've a good sense of my taste. None are "the one" but they are magical. Zagrenski's card with the man floating by the word "trust" is gorgeous. Thank you for taking the time to send me your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked her work. She has a personal website as well with her paintings that you might enjoy - I do love the image here - Nicola Slattery. Will definitely be looking up her work.

      Delete
  3. `Thanks, Patty. This is called "Flying Past" which makes me like it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've corresponded with Nicola. She's a lovely person. And I like her artwork a lot. This would be a fun cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you thought of using her work, too? I think she is better known in the UK than here.

      Delete
  5. Hi Maureen,

    Yes, I've been in touch as well. She's great. Are you thinking of using her work for a project?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment